60 Day Capital Gains Tax Reporting – The Rules Recap

It’s almost been a year since the 60 Day Capital Gains Tax Reporting came into force. Our blog provides a recap of the rules on what exactly needs reporting, who needs to report it, how is it reported, when is…

60 Days Capital Gains Tax Reporting Sagars Image

Blog28th Sep 2022

By Bev Holroyd and Emily Robson

It’s almost been a year since the 60 Day Capital Gains Tax Reporting came into force. Our blog provides a recap of the rules on what exactly needs reporting, who needs to report it, how is it reported, when is any payment due and what happens if reporting/payment is late. 

Residential Property – What should be reported and by whom?

Disposals of the following UK residential properties fall within the scope of the 60-day Capital Gains Tax (CGT) reporting legislation: 

  • Rental properties 
  • Farm cottages 
  • Holiday homes
  • Residential properties which you have not occupied as your main residence for the full period of ownership 

Although the regime is restricted to UK residential properties, the CGT legislation cast a wide net by capturing not only traditional sales but also a gift of a property or a grant of lease 

The disposal of land does not require reporting nor does disposals of the above-mentioned properties if they result in a loss or if the gain is covered by the CGT annual exemption, currently £12,300, and the taxpayer is tax resident in the UK. 

Non-UK Residents

In addition to reporting disposals of UK residential properties as mentioned above, non UK residents must also report non residential land and property transactions. This includes reporting of all transactions even if there is no gain, or a loss. So, in summary, if non-UK resident, 60 day reporting is required for: 

  • Residential Property 
  • Non-residential interests in UK land and properties 
  • Indirect disposals of an interest in UK land, e.g. the non-resident disposes of shares in a company that owns UK land   

As a result of the 2019 extension to the rules for non-residents, special rules apply for mixed use properties, i.e. properties which are partly residential and partly commercial. 

How is it reported and when is payment due?

Reporting should be done using HMRC’s online CGT on UK Property Account service and to be able to do this a Government Gateway account is required. This can prove difficult especially for clients who are not resident in the UK and in those cases, a submission via a paper CGT property return should be submitted. 

Taxpayers can appoint an agent to complete the CGT calculations and reporting however a digital authorisation to act on behalf of the taxpayer must be in place. 

The due date for settling any CGT liability due is within 60 days of the completion date of the disposal. Payments can only be made after the CGT Return has been submitted and HMRC have generated a specific CGT payment reference number. 

What happens if you report after 60 days?

HMRC charge penalties for late filing and interest on late payment. If a CGT Return is filed more than 60 days following the completion date, an automatic £100 will be levied. A further penalty of £300 or 5% of any tax due, whichever is the greater, is charged if more than 6 months late, followed by another penalty of £300 or 5% of tax due is more than 12 months late. 

If you are considering, or are in the process of, disposing a UK residential property, and you have any questions or would like any further information, please contact Bev Holroyd, Emily Robson, or your usual Sagars contact.

By Bev Holroyd and Emily Robson

Related services

Sign up to updates

  1. Blog17th Nov 2023

    Furnished Holiday Lets – Qualifying Conditions & Elections

    To gain the tax advantages of a Furnished Holiday Let (FHL), the property must qualify, and HMRC have a series of qualifying conditions which must be met. If the criteria is still not met, the property will be treated as…

    By Bev Holroyd

    View more
  2. Blog14th Sep 2023

    What are Family Investment Companies?

    In recent years, “Family Investment Companies” (FICs) have become more widely used in family tax planning exercises. However, they are not a new structure by any means – our oldest FIC client is over 100 years old! They are setup…

    By Emily Robson and Steve Roberts

    View more
  3. Blog11th Aug 2023

    HMRC Targeting Airbnb Landlords  

    The way in which we’re able to generate multiple streams of income from property ownership has changed. With platforms such as Airbnb, Booking.com and Cool Stays, landlords are turning to short-term let properties as a source of income and seeing…

    By Bev Holroyd

    View more
  4. Blog21st Apr 2022

    Bev Holroyd, Private Client Senior Manager who wrote the blog Do you need to file a Self Assessment tax return

    Do you need to file a Self Assessment tax return?

    With the 2021/22 tax year ending on 5 April 2022, taxpayers within the Self Assessment system will have recently received ‘notice to file’ letters from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). That then begs the question, do you need to file…

    By Bev Holroyd

    View more

Share this page